Coconut Macaroons


I have always loved coconut macaroons (pretty much coconut everything), but I have never made them.  And so I gave it a try.  When I made it, I only had half a bag of coconut, so I halved the recipe, just to let you know that this is possible.


You will need:
1 bag (14-oz) sweetened, shredded coconut - 5 cups
4 large egg whites
2/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
6 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled.

Mix together the coconut, egg whites, sugar, flour, salt, and vanilla.  Drop by packed tablespoons onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.  Bake at 325F for 25-30 minutes, until lightly golden.  (I did 30 minutes).  Cool completely, then dip the bottom into the melted chocolate and place it back on your baking sheet to refrigerate until the chocolate gets firm, about 20 minutes.


If you want to impress people (who like coconut) with a fancy-looking dessert that is really easy to make, this is the dessert for you! 

Comments