Vegetarian Chili

Today, it is supposed to be 77 degrees out, which seems very abnormal for October 24th in Michigan.  Since I was expecting fall-like weather for the week, I planned split pea soup for dinner, which seems kind of silly now.  Oh, well.  If we can drink boiling hot tea in Uganda, we can eat split pea soup when it is 77.
Recently, though, when it was actually much cooler, we had vegetarian chili for dinner and enjoyed having it warm us up.  Below is the recipe I followed:

1 can chili beans
4 c. cooked black beans
3 c. cooked navy beans
1 c. frozen corn
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder

I cooked this in a crockpot on low all day.  In the end, I thought I probably should have put in one less can of tomato sauce, but others eating the chili thought it was fine.  Maybe start with one and see how soupy you want it to be.

Comments