Skillet Fritata

I really enjoy making things where I can cook on the stove top and then put the same cooking implement into the oven (less dishes).  For that reason, I love cast iron skillets!  This was something that I wanted to try with a fritata for the very reason that it starts on the stove and ends in the oven (my dad always used to transfer them to a baking sheet to finish cooking).  The fritata turned out great, but I have to admit that the skillet was a major pain to clean afterward. 

You will need:
8 eggs
1/2 c. grated cheese
1 large onion
lots of chard, chopped
2 Tbs. butter
a cast iron skillet

Slice the onion into thin strips and cook it in the butter on low for about 10 minutes.  Then, bring the heat up to medium for another 5 minutes.  After that, add the chard and cook until it is wilted.

Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and cheese.  Pour that over the cooked chard and onions in the skillet.  Let the edges set, which will take about 5 more minutes.

Finally, bake at 400F for about 10 minutes, or until the eggs are done.

Comments