Interesting Seitan

It looks like turkey, but it is something quite different.  It is seitan, a variety of fake meat made from wheat gluten.  The last time I attempted to make seitan, I made it into a nice sausage shape.  In this case, I attempted to do the same, but the recipe I made produced a bigger amount and it exploded out of the foil I wrapped it in.  It became about the size of a soccer ball!  When I took it out of the oven, I poked it with a knife and it deflated into what you see here.  So I guess the moral of the story is that you shouldn't make only one seitan sausage out of more than one cup of wheat gluten...

Although it looks so terrible, it actually makes a very convincing sausage substitute.  Chopped in pieces and put on pizza or cooked with greens and tomato, it had the proper texture and even a similar taste to sausage.  Also, Anthony likes it, so it must be good!

Comments