Irish Soda Bread

Anthony and I were feeling the desire to have bread to dip in olive oil and seasonings. However, since I have no more yeast and we’re leaving Mbale soon, I had to find a recipe for relatively plain bread that required no yeast (oh, and I also have no baking powder left…)

And so I found Irish soda bread, which only requires the following ingredients:
4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
Mix all ingredients together (add more buttermilk, if necessary), and place it in a round loaf shape on a baking sheet (or in a pot if you are cooking on the stove like I do). Cut a deep x in the top of the bread, then bake it for 45 minutes.

I don’t know what this tastes like baked in an oven, but when baked on the stove, you have a nice heavy loaf of bread that smells and tastes a bit like a soft pretzel.
We ate it with olive oil and seasonings first:

But it makes good grilled cheese too.

Comments