Endless maize (Maize and beans)

Well, I have heard that most of the processed food we eat in the US is filled with corn and corn derivatives. But I think I am probably eating more maize (corn) here in Uganda than I was there. This is because I planted a field of it in my garden. Maybe this is crazy since it is only to feed me and Anthony, but there is something very exciting about growing my own maize.

So you have seen that we are eating lots of roasted maize and boiled maize, but here is another option for when you have a large quantity of maize: maize and beans.

Technically, this is Kenyan food, but we are pretty close to Kenya here in Mbale. So what you do is pick a whole bunch of maize that has dried on the stalk. Pull off all the kernels and mix it with about half as much dry beans. Then, you cover it with lots of water and either soak it overnight and cook it the next day for a couple of hours or you just cook it for 3 or 4 hours, until it is no longer hard like field corn. Basically, you have to taste it and see if you want to eat it the way it is then and make sure that almost all of the water has been cooked off.

Comments