New baked goods

We have had fun making some interesting foods lately. We found these Indian crisp things in the supermarket. They’re really tasty. They look like a circular sheet of paper, but then you fry them and the turn into something like a cracker or chip.

We also made French toast for ourselves. Anthony doesn’t use syrup, so he was happy, but I have to admit that I missed having it.

I also made these amazing sweet potato biscuits from a recipe my mom sent.

Now, I did change the recipe a bit. Remember the dried sweet potato chips? I ground them to powder in a food processor, cooked them, then used that instead of sweet potato puree, which you would probably use in places where there are no dried sweet potato chips… I also used whey from the cheese I made instead of buttermilk. The recipe is probably better if you don’t change it like I did, but they were pretty wonderful how I did it too!

1 3/4 cups flour
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 Tbs butter
3/4 cup sweet potato puree (cooked, pureed, and chilled)
1/3 cup buttermilk

Mix the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the sweet potato puree and buttermilk. Knead gently until dough comes together but is still slightly lumpy. (If dough is too sticky, add up to 1/4 cup additional flour.) Roll to 1-inch thickness. With a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits as close together as possible. Preheat oven to 425° and bake until golden, 20 to 24 minutes. (Or, you can cook them on a covered, greased skillet on the stovetop, on low heat, turning over when the bottom is browned)

Comments

  1. Are the Indian crisps poppadoms? I discovered those here in the US this past year... the ones I've gotten you can heat in oil as you said or in the microwave for a few seconds. they are made with chickpea flour (which means higher in protein and fairly low in calories/fat) and are crispy and wonderful, as you noted (:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment