Cheese making

Since cheese is not super common in Uganda and I happen to really enjoy cheese, I thought I would try making ricotta cheese, for which you only need milk and citric acid (which I found at a supermarket). I also found a friend who let me borrow a food thermometer. It didn't turn out quite like ricotta cheese, but it is cheese and I'll try again.
What you do:
1. Dissolve 2tsp citric acid in 1 cup water
2. Mix half of this plus 1tsp salt into 1 gallon milk
3. Heat the mixture on low to medium heat, stirring continually - at 170F there should be some flakes forming in the milk (if not, add your citric acid that remains 1Tbs at a time until this does happen)

4. Once it gets to 190-195F, turn the heat off
5. Curds should rise to the top - move them to the middle of the pot with a metal spoon (now, at this point, I noticed something was wrong because my curds SUNK, rather than rising - apparently this means you added too much acid)

6. Let the curds rest for 10-15 minutes, then ladle them out into a sieve or strainer to drain off the whey (since my curds sunk, I had to pour the entire mixture into the sieve, but it did turn out like cheese). You can let it drain from 15 minutes to a couple hours, depending on the consistency you want.

Comments