Teff Injera

I've made Ethiopian food and injera before, but I was super excited to find actual teff flour in Kenya at a health food store.  It turns out that making injera without a special injera maker is pretty tricky with teff only...  I ended up having to add wheat flour to my injera mixture once I started cooking it because it stayed really wet after cooking and I couldn't pick it up with a spatula - it just kept breaking apart.  So I think I'll go with half wheat flour and half teff flour next time...



Along with this Ethiopian feast, since I had some berbere spice as well, I was excited to try making kategna, which I think is supposed to be made from leftover injera.  But I just made it at the same time, with fresh injera.  I spread ghee on the injera and sprinkled liberally with the berbere spice, then cooked it again.  It could only have been better if I had done a better job with the injera to begin with!


Comments