Lentil Not-meat-loaf

Personally, I like meat loaf.  I grew up eating it, so maybe it just has sentimental value to me.  However, since I am now semi-vegetarian (and wouldn't want to buy minced meat here in Kenya anyway, even if I wanted meat), meat loaf is no longer on my list of foods to eat.  Nevertheless, I can enjoy something like it by making this lentil sweet potato loaf.  It's been so long since I ate real meat loaf, that this one seems just as good to me :)



2 large onions, chopped
1 Tbs. olive oil
2 3/4 c. broth
1 c lentils
1 1/2 c. grated sweet potato
1 1/2 c. oats
1 tsp. dried herbs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. tomato paste

First, saute the onions in the olive oil in a medium sized pot until they become soft. Then, add the grated sweet potato, lentils, and broth. Cook until the lentils are tender and the liquid is absorbed. You might have to add a little more broth/water to make sure the lentils get soft enough.

After the lentils are cooked, take the pot off the stove, stir in the oats, herbs, salt, and tomato paste.  Press the mixture into a bread loaf pan and bake at 350F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until it is firm.

Slice and serve with ketchup if you love tradition like I do.

Comments

Post a Comment