Honeycomb and Honeycomb Crunchies

First of all, I have to say that watching the British Bake Off while in Kenya is more fun because, due to the British influence, there are such things in the stores as digestive biscuits and golden syrup.  Have I ever seen these in a non-ethnic food section in the US?  Nope.  (Actually I don't think I've even ever seen them in the US period.  I'm sure there's a way to get them there, but here they're a totally normal find.)


Anyway, I saw someone make honeycomb in one of the episodes and it looked so (relatively) simple and interesting that I felt like I needed to make it too.  Even better, when I searched for recipes online, I found a recipe from Mary Berry for honeycomb crunchies, which looked like fun.  You can find the recipe here.

It involved making honeycomb first.  I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to identify a "golden brown" color while making the syrup, but I figured that I could try again if it failed.  The good news is that it worked the first time!  I poured the mixture out on a silicone mat, which I didn't need to oil and the honeycomb came off it very cleanly once it cooled.  Very cool.


And then here it is mixed with the biscuits and coated in chocolate.


Mmm. it didn't last very long.  It's quite easy, but chocolate is pretty expensive here, so not necessarily something I'll be making all the time.


Comments

  1. Wow, that looks good! Did we ever take you to Eastman Party Store? They have a lot of imported foods, and I often buy Digestive biscuits there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is honeycomb like peanut brittle?

      Delete
    2. Yes we've gone there lots of times! Maybe I was too distracted by the cheese to notice the digestive biscuits :) You should try making these since you have golden syrup!

      Delete
    3. It is kind of the peanut brittle flavor, but it looks way cooler and doesn't stick in your teeth as much

      Delete

Post a Comment