Passionfruit Curd on Crumpets

When we were traveling home from a trip to Nairobi, I bought a bunch of banana passionfruit on the side of the road.  After we got home, though, I decided I didn't want to make juice, so I wasn't sure what to make with it.  I looked up a bunch of recipes and found one for passionfruit curd, which sounded pretty good.  But once I made it, I needed something to put it on.  I decided to try crumpets again to see if they would turn out better this time.  They did and the passionfruit curd was really good with them!


 Passionfruit curd
1 c. passionfruit pulp (seeds strained out)
4 smallish eggs
3/4 c. powdered sugar
6 Tbs. butter

Melt the butter over low heat in a saucepan.  Separately, beat the eggs and powdered sugar.  Add the passionfruit pulp to the saucepan and then slowly pour the egg/powdered sugar mixture in, stirring constantly.  Cook on low/medium, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.

Crumpets (improved)
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. warm milk
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. yeast
1/2 c. water

Mix everything together and beat it well (for me, I only lasted about 100 strokes by hand)
Let rise until double.

Dissolve 1/8 tsp. baking soda in 1/2 c. warm water and add to the dough to make it into a runny pancake batter consistency. Pour about 2 Tbs. onto a hot griddle and cook until bubbles form on the top and it is almost cooked completely:


Then, flip them over to cook for a few seconds on the other side.


And there you have it!

Comments

  1. They are really pretty! I don't think I have ever made crumpets. It looks like a cross between pancakes and English muffins.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment