Mkate wa Mofa

 In preparing to move to Kenya, I was looking up Kenyan recipes online.  There were many that I had already heard of, but when I saw "mkate wa mofa", it was new to me.  (Not that I've ever even heard of it in Kenya, but why not make it anyway?) It looked easy enough, so I saved the recipe to try eventually.  Now is that time.  It was a simple and tasty bread that we enjoyed eating along with soup.


Here is the recipe, adapted to what I had:
1 1/2 c. white flour
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. corn meal (maize flour)
2 3/4 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. yeast
1/4 tsp. garlic powder mixed with a little water to make a paste
2 c. warm water

Mix together all the dry ingredients, then add the water while stirring to make a loose batter.  Cover and let rise for 2 hours.  Heat a frying pan, wipe with oil, and pour in about 1/2 cup of batter.  Cover the pan and let it cook for about 2 minutes.  Then, once the bottom is browned, flip it over and cover the pan again to cook 2-3 more minutes.



As you can see, I didn't flip them over perfectly, but it didn't affect the taste.  They look kind of like thick pancakes, but are more bread-y, like an English muffin. 


Comments

  1. This reminds me of Indian fry bread and also Grandma's salty buns that she used to make in a fry pan with extra bread dough! Do you remember those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I even made the salty buns in Uganda. But this one is only fried in maybe 1/2 tsp. of oil for each one.

      Delete

Post a Comment