Rhubarb Cake


When I was growing up, one of the wonderful, unhealthy quick breads that I loved the most to eat was rhubarb bread.  It had sugary crumble on top which sank into the middle of each loaf of bread.  Well, now that I am older, I realize that we probably shouldn't call this a bread, but instead call it a cake (especially after having people in Uganda call my very low-sugar banana bread and cornbread "cake"!).  So I decided to try out the rhubarb bread recipe (it makes 2 loaves) in a 9x13" pan and call it a cake.  It was a good choice and the revised way of baking rhubarb cake went over well with everyone who tasted it!


The recipe:
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. white sugar
1 egg
1 c. buttermilk
2/3 c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 c. white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. AP flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. rhubarb, chopped into small pieces

Mix everything together, wet ingredients first.  Then, sprinkle the following on top:
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 tsp. butter
Bake at 350F in a 9x13" greased baking pan for 35-45 minutes (it took me 42 minutes)

Comments