Tree Tomato Salad


When I visited Kabale, in Western Uganda, I came home with some tree tomatoes, which I hadn't eaten before.  They were so beautiful that I just bit into one and was very surprised at how bitter the skin was.  I was almost unable to get it down.  Then I looked them up online and read that the skin is really bitter...so you're supposed to blanch them and remove the peel before eating.  Well, that made a bit of a difference!  Once they were edible, I put together this beautiful salad for dinner.


Here are the ingredients:
1 c. wheat berries
2 c. water
Simmer for 30 minutes - 1 hour, until soft.

Saute the following in olive oil:
2 medium onions
3 carrots
a handful of okra and winged beans (or whatever other veggies you have)

Mix the cooked veggies and wheat berries, then serve with the following:
avocado
cheese
tree tomatoes
***cut off the stem, cut an "x" in the bottom of the fruit, and then put in boiling water for a few minutes.  Then, put into ice water until it cools a bit and then take off the peel and dispose of it (like I said, the peel is really bitter - if you don't believe me, taste it!)

Comments