Wierdest Jello Ever


I believe that I mentioned before that I like jello.  Well, I decided to make some roselle jello.  It sounded good because roselle makes a very tasty drink and I thought roselle jello would be kind of like jello made out of juice.  But then, when I got started, I didn't have quite enough fresh roselle in my garden to make a strongly flavorful juice.  So I thought, maybe coconut milk would be a nice addition.  And since I have a bunch of jaggery and usually use it to sweeten the roselle drink, I added that for sweetener.  Well, it was really...interesting.  It had the flavor of roselle + coconut + molasses.  Not terrible, but not necessarily something I would make again.  I think the coconut milk was what made it so weird.  As well as the fact that I left the roselle calyxes in the jello instead of straining them out.  So it looked really strange because somehow the coconut milk foamed up and made this layer of grey on the top of the jello.  And the mixture of red roselle and coconut milk made an odd purple color on the bottom... Yeah, I think it would have been better minus the coconut milk.

But in case you decide you want to try it out, here's what I did:
15 roselle calyxes
2 1/2 c. coconut milk (I used powdered)
3 Tbs. jaggery
2 Tbs. gelatin

Simmer the roselle in the coconut milk for 15 minutes.  Add the jaggery and stir until it dissolves.  Then, let it cool a bit and sprinkle the gelatin on top, stirring it in until it is completely dissolved.  Pour into molds and put it in the fridge until it hardens.  And then enjoy the adventure!



Comments