Evaporated Creamer Milk Pumpkin Pie

In case you were wondering, "evaporated creamer milk" is NOT the same thing as "evaporated milk".  Last Thanksgiving, I didn't make a pumpkin pie because I love my mom's homemade pumpkin pie made with real, fresh pumpkin.  And, it has evaporated milk in it, which I could not find anywhere in Soroti.  One day this year, though, I saw evaporated creamer milk and quickly bought it thinking that it can't be that different from evaporated milk, right?

So I brought it home, then looked up the ingredients of evaporated milk online.  And they are:  "milk".  Also, apparently you can make it at home yourself (should have used my friend Google before despairing of making pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving...) Yeah, anyway this evaporated creamer milk also has palm oil in it.  So it was a little yellowish when I opened it up.  But I figured I would give it a try anyway.


Well, because I didn't want to make a crust, I just made the pie filling and baked that.  It actually wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as the real thing (this could partly be because of the lack of crust and whipped cream, but it could also have to do with not using real evaporated milk).  Oh, well, either way I had my Thanksgiving dessert in May.


Here is where you can find the recipe.  Just make sure you use real evaporated milk!

Comments