Sun Drying Mangoes


Every year, there is a mango season and the big mango tree in our yard gets filled with hundreds (thousands?) of mangoes.  Seeing as how Anthony does not like fruit, that makes for a lot of mangoes for me to eat.  I pick them and share them with as many people as possible, but there are mango trees everywhere, so lots of people don't need any more either.

Therefore, I set up my own simple solar dehydrator.  It is a piece of wire mesh held in place by four pieces of wood and covered by a mosquito net to keep insects out.  If I slice mangoes thinly and hang the dryer out in the sun for 1-3 days (depending on the humidity, cloudiness, and temperature), they get dry enough to save for later.



This is how much I have dried so far this year:


Here's a can of tomato paste (a 15oz can) to give you a frame of reference for how big that container of dried mangoes is!


Comments

Post a Comment