Ladenburger Salty Buns

Anthony and I stopped at this random little place along the road to Lira where they sell soft-serve ice cream and various other things which are quite out of the ordinary in Uganda.  One such item on the menu is salty buns.  I had heard about my dad's family eating salty buns when he grew up, but had never eaten one myself.  We bought a couple at this place to try them out and they were good, but basically just good rolls.  So I asked my grandma for the real recipe so I could try it out.  Here is the recipe for the famous Ladenburger salty buns. 

Make basic yeast bread dough:
3 c. flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 Tbs. salt
3/4 Tbs. yeast
1 1/2 c. water

Let the dough rise for 1 hour in a bowl.

Spread about 1/4 inch of shortening in the bottom of a cast iron skillet and sprinkle it liberally with salt.



Shape the dough into buns and place them on top of the shortening.  I made 12 buns with this amount of dough.  Let it rise for another hour.



Fry the bread on one side until it gets brown, then flip it over and let it brown on the other side.  I cooked it on about medium low heat (for my stove) and after about 5 minutes, used a spatula to pull the side of a roll up to check every few minutes for browning.  It was kind of tricky to flip the rolls.  But I took the pan off of the heat and tried to flip a couple rolls together.  After I flipped the ones from half of the skillet, I was able to get the other half all together and flip it as one piece.


They tasted as good as they were advertised to be.  And pure health :)

Comments