Cooking with Mom and Dad


A few months ago, my parents came to visit the farm and I had the fun job of being lunch chef with them one of the days.  My mom worked out the menu and my dad and I assisted in preparations and cooking.


We made my mom's amazing falafel, a couscous salad, and whole wheat chocolate chip cookies.


Falafel:
1 c. dried  fava beans
3/4 c. dried chickpeas (not canned)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/3 c. fresh parsley, stems removed and finely chopped
2 Tbs. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
3/4 tsp. cumin
1 Tbs. baking powder
4 Tbs. flour



Soak fava beans overnight in one bowl and chickpeas in another.  Drain and rinse.  Next, have fun peeling the tough skins off the fava beans.  Discard the skins.  Place fava beans and chickpeas in food processor and blend. Add all the rest of the ingredients and keep processing until it forms a thick paste-like consistency.  Remove falafel mixture from processor. 


In a medium frying pan, heat two inches of oil to about 350F (Have I ever actually measured this?  No. Maybe you want to, maybe you don't).  Spoon rounded tablespoons of the falafel mixture into the hot oil. Fry for about two minutes on each side, or until the falafel is a golden brown color.  Drain on paper towels.



The falafel are great served with a yogurt sauce (yogurt, dried dill, lemon juice, chopped cucumbers) and also make a nice sandwich in pita bread.


I'll share the chocolate chip cookie recipe some other time!

Comments