Kale Caesar Salad

Although I do a lot of baking, usually Anthony and I eat mostly vegetables for our meals.  In case you were beginning to doubt this, here is a recipe that centers on a vegetable.

During a great road trip with friends, we went to a farm-to-table restaurant and I had Kale Caesar Salad.  It was amazing.  I love kale and have enjoyed some wonderful kale salads, so I was inspired to make it myself.  I've made kale salad before, so I based my technique for this salad on that one.


First, I washed and chopped the kale, removing the tough middle stem.  Then, I made a homemade Caesar dressing!

Creamy Caesar Dressing
3 cloves garlic, minced (or even better, press it through a garlic press)
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1 Tbs. vinegar
2 Tbs. mayonnaise
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1/2 c. olive oil

Whisk together everything except the olive oil, then slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking the whole time.

Next, I poured dressing over my kale, to my taste (Anthony probably would use more) and massaged it into the kale.  I let it sit for about half an hour before we ate it, to let the kale soften a bit.


And then, of course, there must be homemade croutons.  I used a sourdough bread and cut it into about 2 cups of 1" cubes.  I melted 6 Tbs. of butter in a saucepan and then cooked the bread in it over medium heat, stirring, until they became crispy.

Comments