Homemade Pop Tarts of Sorts

When I was a kid, I remember my parents allowing special treats for breakfasts on the weekends.  That was the only time when my sister and I were able to have sugary cereal or pop tarts.  We (or at least I) thought it made weekends pretty fun. 

It has been a long time since I last had a pop tart.  But lately, being someone who both likes to bake and is frugal, I decided it would be interesting to try to make my own.


I was not creative enough to make up my own recipe.  Instead, I searched online and eventually found the recipe I utilized on Smitten Kitchen's website.  From on that recipe, I made the pastry dough and the jam filling, but I made one adjustment - I used half all-purpose flour and half white whole wheat flour (1 c. of each).


Honestly, the pastry was more of a flaky pastry than how I remember pop tarts being, but as a result it turned out very dessert-like.



In an attempt to make it look like a pop tart, I put some frosting and sprinkles on top.  I tasted them both with and without frosting.  Although the frosting makes them look more authentic, I thought it made them way too sweet.  Perhaps a less sweet frosting?  I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Comments

  1. Homemade pop tarts! They look so much better than the packaged version:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment