Disaster Cupcakes


I don't always love cakes.  But I found a recipe for a cupcake that actually looked really good to me.  It came from this website with a cupcake for every day of the month.  Cupcake for Day 13 was the fateful choice.  Sour Cream Fig Cupcakes.  Now, I didn't have fig jam, but I figured that any sort of jam would be a fine substitute.  And I did replace the sour cream with yogurt.  But other than that, I followed the recipe...

Thankfully, I decided to put my silicone muffin cups onto a baking sheet or I would have had a burnt mess to clean up in the oven!  When I took them out, I found that they had all overflowed and baked on the inside, outside, and around the bottom of the cups.  I was not very pleased.  They looked nothing like the picture in the recipe.


However, they still tasted great.  In fact, the part that had overflowed onto the cookie sheet turned out like a chewy cookie.  This is not to say that I would make them again - it was a major pain washing the entirety of the muffin cups - but at least it was a pleasingly edible disaster.  And I suppose that is what I occasionally will get for taking the risk of being so free with substitutions in a baking recipe.

Comments