Peach Custard Pie


When I was younger, I always loved my grandma's single-crust custard rhubarb pie (I still love it!)  So recently, when I had a bunch of peaches, I was trying to come up with some ideas of what to do with them that involved dessert.  Most of the time, peaches seem to go into double-crust pies, but I wanted to try out a custard pie.  This is what I ended up with:


 Make your favorite crust dough and refrigerate it for one hour.  (I used the crust from the above rhubarb pie)  Then, roll it out and place it in a pie pan.  I used my deep-dish pizza stone.  If you choose to use a pie pan instead, you will probably have enough filling for a bread pan-sized pie too.  Cut up about 7 large peaches and place them into the crust.  Next, pour the filling on top:

Filling:
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. milk
3/4 c.plain Greek yogurt
2 eggs
2 Tbs. flour
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. vanilla

Bake at 400F for 30 minutes.  Then, turn the heat down to 350F and bake for an additional 40 minutes to 1 hour, or until the middle has set.  If you have a lot of crust showing, before you turn the heat down, you can cover the crust of the pie with foil to keep it from getting too brown.  Not much showed in my deep dish stone, so I didn't worry about that.


I had extra pie crust, so I made some triangles and arranged them on the top of the pie as extra fun decoration.


Comments

  1. Wish I could have a piece of that pie! Peaches are just coming into season here in Michigan, I bought my first bag today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment