Plum Cake

When we got some slightly bruised plums on the farm lately, I wanted to come up with something fun to make with them.  I considered crisp or gallette, but when I found this recipe, I thought it sounded pretty good.  And it definitely was.  It comes from Smitten Kitchen.


I don't always love cakes, but when they have fruit in them, I usually enjoy them more.  So I think this particular recipe is an especially good fruity cake!


Dimply Plum Cake

1 c. all purpose flour,  1/2 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
5 Tbs. butter, at room temperature
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 large eggs (or 2 Tbs. oil, 4 Tbs. water, 4 tsp. baking powder)
1/3 cup oil
Orange zest
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
6 plums, halved and pitted

Preheat the oven to 350°F.  I used a 9" pie pan since I didn't have a square one.  Grease and flour it. Beat the butter and sugar until creamy, then add the eggs or egg substitute.  Then beat in the oil, zest, and vanilla.  Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together and then mix them in with the wet ingredients.


Pour the batter into the pan and arrange the plums cut side up in the batter.
Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the top is brown and puffy around the plums.

Comments