Rosemary and Goat Cheese Scones

What does one do with large quantities of goat cheese?  How about scones? 

When I made chevre cheese, I ended up with way more than I knew what to do with, so I started thinking about ways it could be used in greater quantities than simply spread on a cracker.  I searched for recipes for chevre cheese on the internet and decided, in the end, on scones, since I had all the ingredients necessary for making them.  The cheese basically substitutes for butter. 

If I had had fruit, I would have made sweeter fruity scones, but didn't and I have developed a taste for rosemary, so these sounded good too.


Rosemary Goat Cheese Scones

2 c. all-purpose flour
2/3 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. honey
1 egg
1/2 c. milk
2 Tbs. fresh rosemary
About 1 c. chevre goat cheese - I kept adding more until it made the right texture of dough


Mix together the dry ingredients.  Then, use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut the chevre into this flour mixture until it looks like coarse crumbs.  Make a well in the middle, put the rest of the ingredients in it and whisk them together.   Then, stir everything together until it forms a ball.

On a silicone baking mat, form the dough into a square about an inch thick.  Obviously mine did not turn out as a real square, but a rectangle works too.  Cut it into around 15-16 pieces, depending on whether you have a square or a rectangle, and spread the pieces apart just a little bit.

Bake at 425F for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.


Comments