Gluten Free Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies

DSC00178

Here on the farm, cooking for thirty people can be challenging because you have to take into account different food allergies.  However, this means that I have been learning more about how to bake gluten-free items, especially desserts.  Here is one example of a dessert that I though turned out really well (even the non-gluten-intolerant people liked them).

Gluten-Free Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies:
makes one dozen.
1/2 cup gluten free oat flour (or gluten-free oats ground into flour - I did this in a coffee grinder)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 egg (or 2 Tbs. water, 1 Tbs. oil, and 2 tsp. baking powder)
jelly of choice (I used grape)

DSC00177

In a bowl whisk together the oat flour, sugar, and salt, then stir in the peanut butter and egg.  If your batter doesn't stick together well, add a few more tablespoons of peanut butter.  Form into 12 balls and place on a baking sheet. Press your thumb into the center of each cookie and spoon a tiny bit of jelly into each hole.  Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes. The jelly soaks into the cookie, which is kind of cool.

DSC00176

Comments

  1. Sara, I am fascinated by your recipes. My family spent 6 months in West Africa, but I did little cooking. Now we will be hosting some of the Ugandan orphan's choir during July. I would like to prepare some foods that they might be familiar with and enjoy.
    Now my question: If I cook together cabbage/tomatoes/greens/carrots as a side dish, what kinds of seasonings would I use? Also, in a chicken/vegetable stew, any particular seasonings? Maybe peanut sauce?
    Thanks so much! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan, I'm glad that you enjoy my recipes and are interested in making familiar food for Ugandans! You should check out my recipes for ugali and mandazi here: http://sarasglobalcooking.blogspot.com/2013/03/ugandan-food-on-farm.html

    Generally, I just use some form of vegetable bullion, onions, and carrots when I cook beans. In the cabbage, tomatoes, and greens, I think they taste good just like that. I think that bullion would be closest to the seasoning we used in Uganda, though, because it mostly made the greens salty.

    Peanut sauce is certainly very common. For the most part, the food is pretty bland, so I would avoid making it very spicy :)

    I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, that helps. I will be using your recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment