Sweet Potato Chips and Blondies


While Anthony was gone one time, I decided to try a bunch of new sweet potato foods.  One of those was sweet potato chips baked in the oven.  I have to admit that in that form, I ate an entire sweet potato as a snack!  They didn't turn out quite as crispy as sweet potato chips that you buy from the store, but I certainly enjoyed them.


I sliced a sweet potato into thin pieces, put them on parchment paper, spread a little olive oil on top, and sprinkled them with salt.  Then, I baked them at375 F for 15 minutes.  Starting at about 8 minutes, I started checking them every so often and took out the ones that were starting to brown or got crispy faster than others.


I also made sweet potato brownies.  But I think that "blondies" is a more appropriate name for this bar since it has no chocolate in it at all.  What intrigued me about this recipe is instead of cooking and mashing the potatoes, you grate them raw and put them into the batter.  It was actually great and had the consistency of a chewy brownie with the texture of maybe carrot cake.


Ingredients:
1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. raw, grated sweet potato

Directions:
Cream together the butter and sugars, then add in the eggs and vanilla.  Next, mix in the dry ingredients.  Finally, fold in the grated sweet potato.  Spread the batter into a greased 9x13" pan and bake at 350F for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.


Comments