Pineapple Upside Down Cake


Honestly, I love maraschino cherries, but ever since I found out that they are bleached and dyed that bright red color, I just can't bring myself to eat them anymore. So I just filled in the middle of the pineapples with little pieces of pineapple.

Obviously I also made this for myself because Anthony would definitely not eat pineapple.

For the recipe, I looked at a bunch of recipes online and combined what I liked from them to make mine.
1/4 c. butter
2/3 c. brown sugar
sliced pineapple
1 c. white flour
1/3 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. shortening
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. pineapple juice
1 flax "egg": 1 Tbs. ground flaxseed + 3 Tbs. water

Melt butter in a 10" cast iron skillet. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top and put pineapple slices in whatever pattern you want.
Beat everything else together for 3 minutes, then pour it over the pineapple.
Bake at 350F for 40-55 minutes. Put a plate on top of the cake, then flip it over and leave the pan on top for a few minutes for the pineapples and brown sugar to come off. Remove pan and serve!

Comments