Rhubarb!

The first local "fruit" (technically vegetable) of the season is always very exciting and I was especially excited about rhubarb this year after a very long winter. And so, when two of my friends offered me tons of rhubarb, I decided my first recipe would be rhubarb bread (actually more like rhubarb cake made in a bread pan :)


Here is my lovely sister helping me harvest rhubarb (my third time this month).

My dad's favorite part of rhubarb bread was always the gooey, sugary topping - which I must say is very tasty - but my favorite was always the rhubarb. Since I like the rhubarb so much I thought I'd put in extra, which turned out tasting great, kind of like rhubarb custard, but made it very difficult to get the squishy bread out of the pan... So I will put down the recipe for you with my changes in parentheses for you to try if you dare. This is how they came out all gooey and soft:




3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup oil (I did 4/6 cup of applesauce and the rest oil)
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup rhubarb (or if you're feeling adventurous 2 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I didn't have any so I left them out)

Blend sugar, oil, egg, vanilla, and buttermilk. Add dry ingredients and mix it all together. Stir in your rhubarb and nuts. Then, you can put it into 2 greased regular sized bread loaf pans and bake it for 50 minutes at 350F. But I decided to use 4 mini loaf pans that I have (since Anthony won't eat rhubarb and little loaves sounded fun) and baked it at 350F for 40 minutes. But before you bake, mix 1/4 cup of white and 1/4 cup of brown sugar and sprinkle it over the tops of the loaves.



Additionally, I made a bunch of rhubarb sauce, both on my own and with my sister. This involves the extremely simple process of cooking 5-6 cups of chopped rhubarb in a pot with 1/2 cup of sugar until it becomes sauce. Maybe it takes 15 minutes... How can you eat rhubarb sauce? On ice cream, with yogurt and granola, or even just plain!

Comments