Sour Cream Raisin Pie is Surprisingly Good, Actually

I grew up hearing stories from my dad about how my grandma, when she made pies, always made a bunch of them. And with lots of siblings, for those who did like sour cream raisin, the strategy was to eat the pies everyone liked first, then wait until they were gone to eat the sour cream raisin pie, which they only had to share with a few people. Devious, weren't they?

I had never had sour cream raisin pie, though, until just this month. I made it with my grandma when we visited her and it was actually quite good.


Here is her recipe:
Make a double pie crust, put the bottom half in a pie pan.
Mix together:
1 ¼ cup raisins (then soak them if they’re dry)
1 cup sour cream (can’t use low fat) thinned with cream
1 cup sugar
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
Pour into pie crust, then put another crust on top.
Bake at 375F for 1 hour.


While we were at it, we made a pecan pie too, for good measure.

Comments

Post a Comment