The Best Rhubarb Pie Ever

I thought that by the time we were back in the USA - since it was August already, that there would be no more rhubarb around that would be edible. But I was wrong. Some good friends have a garden where their large quantities of rhubarb are still growing fantastically. Anyway, they graciously shared A LOT of rhubarb with me so I was able to make the world's best rhubarb pie (in my opinion), recipe compliments of my grandma and her mother. I have many good memories of eating this pie in my grandparents' house while I was growing up and I want to keep the tradition going.

This is a custard rhubarb pie with one crust and the recipe is as follows.
Crust (this makes a double crust so you can either make two of these pies or freeze half of the dough for a future one crust pie or quiche):
2 cups flour
1/2 Tbs. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup shortening (crisco)
1 egg
1/2 Tbs. vinegar
1/4 cup cold water
Mix the dry ingredients, then cut in the shortening. Then add the wet ingredients and mix it all together to form the dough. Chill for 30 minutes and then divide it in half. Use half for this pie.

Pie:
5 cups rhubarb
2 cups sugar
3 Tbs. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs, beaten
Mix it all together and pour it into the prepared pie crust. Bake at 350F for one hour.

You will have a little more than will fit in a pie pan, so you can put some crust and the extra in an (obviously) oven-safe bowl and have a baby pie too.

Comments

Post a Comment