Unusual Birthday Cooking

We went out for Indian food (at an "Asian" - Asian meaning Indian - and African restaurant) on my birthday and Anthony decided to get an egg roll as an appetizer. It wasn't exactly what he expected, however. It was scrambled eggs rolled up in chapatti. So, truly an egg roll!

On my birthday, we had been without power for five days (it stayed off for almost another whole day before finally coming back). Thankfully, we cook with gas, so we didn't go hungry. Refrigeration was a bit of a problem, however. Additionally, we had planned to make hummus and peanut bars for my birthday, but without power, we could not put the hummus in a blender or chop peanuts or bake a cake in the de Jongs' oven... But why let no power ruin our plans? Here I am making hummus by hand - literally. I mashed the garbanzo beans with my hands because doing so damaged the fork I tried to use.

And the final result:

We also managed to make the peanut bars by steaming the cake on the stove and then smashing the peanuts with a rolling pin :)

Comments

Post a Comment