Mango Empanadas

Here in Uganda, it is mango season.  There are mangoes everywhere and I have a whole tree in my yard, from which Anthony will not eat.  Obviously I cannot, on my own, eat an entire tree full of mangoes that all get ready within the span of about two months.  More on how I am using large quantities of them later.  May is also the month of Cinco de Mayo.  I know that day has passed, but when it was here, I made mango empanadas.  My mom would make pumpkin empanadas when I was growing up, so I thought mangoes would be pretty similar texture if I cooked them. 

In the end, I made these twice.  The first time, I didn't really chop up the mangoes before I cooked them.  Therefore, even though they tasted really good, they were kind of stringy.  The second time, I cut them into little cubes first and the filling was a much better texture.




So, here is the recipe:
Ingredients for the dough:
1 c. flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. shortening
1 egg
1/4 c. milk

Mix together the dry ingredients, then cut in the shortening.  Stir in the eggs and milk until it is combined and makes a soft dough. 

Also, make the filling:
Mangoes, cubed, enough to make about 1 1/2 cups (for me, that was about 6 mangoes because mine are really small)
2 Tbs. sugar
1/4 c. raisins
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Cook the mangoes with the sugar until they get soft and mushy.  Add the raisins and cinnamon.  Let it cool a little bit.

Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.  Roll each one out into a 6-inch circle.  Put about 3 Tbs. of filling on one half of the circle, leaving space around the edge.  Fold it in half and crimp the edges to seal it.  Bake at 400F for 15 minutes.

Comments

  1. They look wonderful! Have you tried mango salsa with onions and cilantro?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment