Sourdough Breads

I've been enjoying trying all kinds of sourdough breads over the past months.  In Uganda, we never had a yeast shortage, like in the US, but it has still seemed like a good time to make sourdough starter and experiment with various recipes since, unlike normal, I'm constantly at home.

Some things have been successes and others not so much.  This cinnamon raisin sourdough bread was a definite success and something I made more than once:


The sourdough hot cross buns would have been a lot better if they had actually risen... They ended up overly hard and dense.  I should probably give them another shot sometime. 
You can see my hand creepily reflecting off the counter:


One of the easiest things to make and an item which uses almost exclusively  sourdough discard is crumpets.  I appreciated having such a simple and tasty option because I can't bring myself to literally discard the discard.  I used canning jar rings as the molds for the crumpets.  Once, I also tried using metallic cookie cutters to make interesting shapes, which was fun, but it was a bit difficult to get them to come out nicely without sticking.

Comments

  1. This looks good, I think I will try it! We have some sourdough starter that Ben shared with us, and I made a loaf of bread today:) it was fun to see that we are both making sourdough bread even though we are far apart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment