Green Cookies

I recently read a book on the use of green vegetables in development work and found some fun recipes using leaf powder at the end of the book.  One of them was green sugar cookies.

I decided against using moringa leaf powder because I know from experience that in large quantities it does have a very distinctive taste.  Also, I make my moringa leaf powder by rubbing it through a sieve, making it not as fine as I might want in a cookie.  So when I found wheatgrass powder at a supermarket in Kenya, I got it for this fun (slightly healthier) treat.



It looks like green play dough...


Green Cookies
1 2/3 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. dried leaf powder
1 egg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. almond extract
3/4 c. butter

Combine butter and sugar, then mix in the egg and almond extract.  Finally, mix in dry ingredients.  Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.  Roll out about 1/4" thick, cut into shapes, and bake at 325F for 13-15 minutes.


They turned out as satisfyingly green tree cookies and any flavor the wheatgrass powder might have given them was covered up by the almond extract!

Comments

Post a Comment