Local Pulled Pork on Pretzel Buns

While we were staying with Anthony's parents, I bought a bunch of great pork from a friend with a local farm.  One of the cuts was a 4lb Boston butt.  I have never made pulled pork before, so I thought I would give it a try.  I put the meat into a crock pot on low in the morning with 1/4 cup of water and 8 hours later, it just fell off the bone and shredded super easily with a couple forks. 


Anthony's parents had some barbecue sauce, so I didn't make my own.


But I did make pretzel buns, which were great.  They were a little bit of a mess pulling out of the boiling soda water, but they turned out just fine.


Pretzel buns:

2 ¼ tsp. yeast
1 c. warm water2 TBS whole milk
3 Tbs. brown sugar
4 Tbs. butter, melted
1 tsp. salt
3 c. flour

4 quarts water
½ cup baking soda
Kosher salt to taste

Combine yeast, water, and brown sugar in a bowl.  Melt butter and let it cool a little.  Then add it to the bowl along with the milk.  Add salt and flour and mix until flour is fully incorporated.  Knead until the dough forms a firm ball.  Cover the dough and let it rise for an hour.

Bring the water to a boil in a large pot.  Then, slowly add the baking soda.  Form the dough into 8 small balls.  Drop them into the boiling soda water and boil for 60-90 seconds on each side, turning it once.  Put it on an oiled baking sheet.  Immediately sprinkle coarse salt over the bread to your taste, and use a knife to cut a small incision on the top of the bread.

Cook at 400F for 22-25 minutes, rotating the baking sheet once.

Comments