Orange Marmalade and Candied Orange Peels

What with the overabundance of oranges, and my love of chocolate-covered orange peels, I decided to make a batch of candied orange peels and, while I was at it, orange marmalade.  It turned a day of rest into a busy one in the kitchen, but I was happy with the result.


As I've mentioned before, oranges in Uganda have green peel and are usually not so bright orange inside compared to those you find in the US.  So I thought maybe my orange peels and orange marmalade would end up being green peels and green marmalade.  However, after cooking them, they turned a light orange.  Interesting.


Orange Marmalade:
1 pound oranges
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
5 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups water

Quarter the oranges and slice them as thinly as possible.  Put orange slices, orange juice, lemon juice, and water into a non reactive pot and bring it to a boil.  Then, let it simmer about an hour, until the peels are translucent.  Stir in sugar, bring mixture to a boil again, stirring until sugar is dissolved.  Keep cooking until the liquid is the consistency of jelly and will set (put a little on a plate in the freezer for a minute and see if it will wrinkle.  This should take 15-30 minutes.  Let it cool and put into containers.

Comments

  1. Thankyou For sharing a beneficial information.Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me kindly visit my blog green peels in dubai

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment