Homemade Bagels

When I found real, proper-tasting cream cheese at a store in Kampala, the logical response was to make bagels to put it on.  Even better, we had poppy seeds and roasted sesame seeds to make pretty looking bagels.


Since I sometimes watch episodes of the Great British Bake Off, I decided I might as well try Paul Hollywood's bagel recipe.  Happily, they turned out just right.  I satisfied my desire for bagels with cream cheese and Anthony discovered that he has been missing out all his life, not eating cream cheese on bagels (until now, when I have to compete with him over the cream cheese).  The one thing I realized, after making these, was that it is important to use a silicone baking mat.  I used a greased non-stick pan and the bagels still stuck...


We not only ate bagels for breakfast, but also made some bagel sandwiches for lunch.  One day it was bagels with cream cheese, avocado, and tomato.  Another day with regular cheese (the cream cheese had been used up), fried egg, and tomato.


Comments