Roast Duck

Just so you're prepared, there is a dead duck in the following pictures...

Since I am now raising ducks, we decided to try one out for our Christmas dinner.  It was actually not that hard to butcher.  Pretty much the same as a chicken.  Harder in the sense that the feathers were more difficult to pluck, but easier because it's bigger, so getting the innards out wasn't bad.  The other ducks didn't seem to realize that I had their deceased brother in the basin in front of me.



After butchering, I put it in the fridge for 24 hours and the next day to roasted it in the oven at 200C for 2 hours (it weighed 5 pounds and I read that you should cook it 20 minutes per pound plus an extra 20 minutes).  First, I cut shallow slits in the skin all over the duck (but not all the way through to the meat).  I also read a tip about putting some veggies underneath the duck to keep it off the bottom of the pan in order to make it more crispy.  The carrots I used for that turned out so tasty I wished I had put more in there!



After cooking, you're supposed to let the duck sit for 10-20 minutes before cutting it up.  We waited 20 minutes.


And there it is, our fancy Christmas dinner.  It tasted like dark meat on a turkey.  Really good.


Comments

  1. I am impressed by so many things you do that I have never done...and am not willing to do:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment