Dan's Pecan Pie

One of the benefits of living near a big city is that we can buy fun things like pecans!  (Not all the time of course, they're expensive, but it's definitely worth it occasionally).

I had some "golden syrup" that I wanted to use up and thought that using it (instead of corn syrup) for pecan pie would be an excellent use.  I made this pie remembering my time working at the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park, Colorado, after my first year of college.  I was also volunteering with A Christian Ministry in the National Parks (ACMNP) and a part of doing that ministry was that those of us volunteering there with ACMNP had a group of people from the community who were like our family/mentors while we were there.  One of them, Dan, made an excellent pecan pie and gave me his recipe.  I have good memories of what a great summer that was and am thankful that I can remember it while eating an amazing pie.

1 pie crust
1 c. pecans
1 stick butter/margarine, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs

Roll out your pie crust and put it into the pie pan*.  Spread the pecans over the bottom of the pie crust.  In a bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar.  Then beat in the remaining ingredients.  Pour them over the pecans and bake at 350F for 45 minutes, when the middle only just jiggles.

*This recipe makes enough filling to overflow a regular pie pan.  I usually use my deep dish pizza stone, but you could also just make a regular pie and use the extra filling to make a small one in a bowl-sized dish, like my mom would always do with pumpkin pies growing up.


A funny thought that I had about this pie is that it always seemed to take a lot longer to bake when I made it before.  But here I am, at around 7,000 feet elevation, in Kenya.  Dan was baking his pies in Estes Park, at 7,522 feet.  Maybe the elevation caused this pie to come out to perfection here!

Comments