Butternut Squash Lasagna

When visiting my friends in Texas, I tasted cashew cheese for the first time.  It was surprisingly like cheese and very good.  So when I found this recipe for "lasagna" using butternut squash instead of noodles and cashew cheese instead of ricotta cheese, it looked like a fun thing to try.  My mom is very willing to try cooking anything with me and my dad and Anthony were willing to be adventurous and eat something unusual.


The main thing that I changed with the recipe, was with the kale pesto.  First of all, I doubled the amount that I made so my mom could save half of it for later.  But I only used 1/3 c. of olive oil with 10 c. of chopped kale.  In my opinion, that was plenty of olive oil to make a very good pesto.


We used a big butternut squash so I was able to fill a 9x13 pan with three layers of squash.  Since I was kind of in a hurry, I cut about five minutes off of the baking time for the squash and also from the baking time for the lasagna.  I think it may have been better with the squash a little more crispy than I got it.  But of course if it had become mushy that wouldn't have been good, so I suppose it ended up just about right.



Comments