Ramps

Something that I like to do which Anthony does not always appreciate is to go out and find wild edible plants and then try cooking with them.  One such wild edible which is very easy to identify (because of its strong garlic-y smell) is ramps, or wild leeks.


I found them near my in-laws' home and took a trowel with me the next time I went out for a walk so I could bring some home.  They were a little concerned at first that I was cooking with wild plants, but trusted me enough to taste what I cooked after I took a bite :)
 


I brought home a big handful of ramps and then had to come up with something to make out of them.   I've seen all sorts of pictures of pull-apart bread which looked pretty tasty, so I made some of my own.  I used a loaf of homemade rye bread, cut parallel lines not quite all the way through the bread and then more lines perpendicular to that.  I filled all the cracks with:
1/3 c. olive oil mixed with the white part of the chopped ramps

Then, I baked it wrapped in tin foil for 10 minutes at 400F.  After, that I took it out and poked the following into the cracks:

1 c. grated mozzarella cheese mixed with the green part of the chopped ramps
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese

Finally, I put it back into the oven for another 20 minutes with the foil open.

 It didn't pull apart very easily and we all tasted garlic in our mouths for hours afterward, but the whole thing was enjoyed and disappeared really quickly!


Comments