Variety Oatmeal Cookie Bars



I adapted this from the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe ever, shared with me by Tessa, years ago.  As we prepared to move, we were trying to use up various ingredients in the house.  I finished off the chocolate chips and shortening, but I still wanted to make a dessert.  So I took the following recipe and adapted it to fit with what we had.  Here is the original:

Tessa’s Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. sugar
1 c. packed brown sugar
½ c. butter
½ c. shortening
2 eggs
2 c. oats
2 c. chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 375°F.  Cream butter, shortening, and sugars.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Mix well.  Combine dry ingredients (except oats and chocolate chips) and add to other ingredients and mix well.  Stir in oats and chips.  Shape into balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 7 minutes.

And here is how to make the interesting bars I made:

Oatmeal Cookie Bars
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. sugar (all sugar in Uganda is sugar cane sugar so kind of a mix between brown and white)
1 c. butter
2 Egg substitute:
      2 Tbs. oil
     1/4 c. water
     4 tsp. baking powder
2 c. oats
1 tsp. vanilla

I mixed together the dough, then divided it in thirds.  One third I left plain, to one third I added 1/2 c. of raisins, and to the last third, I added 6 crushed Oreos.  Then, I pressed each third into its own section of a 9x13 pan and baked it at about 350F for 30 minutes.

Comments