Matooke With Peanut Sauce


I know this doesn't look all that appetizing, but it tastes a lot better than it looks in the picture...


Now that I know the secret ingredient to Ugandan food (curry powder), my dishes turn out much tastier than they used to.  So in this case, it is the peanut sauce that has improved.

I started out with matooke:


I non-traditionally boiled the peeled matooke in water (rather than steaming it wrapped in banana leaves) until it was soft.  In a separate pan (at the same time), I made the peanut sauce.

1 small onion (or a bunch of green onions - that is what I had from my garden so that is what I used...)
2 tomatoes
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. curry powder
1/4 c. natural peanut butter (approximately)
1/4 c. water

First, I sauteed finely chopped onion until it became translucent.  Then, I added chopped tomatoes and cooked them until soft.  After that, I mixed in the salt and curry powder and water.  Next, I turned the heat down to low and added the peanut butter.  (As a side note, you should slowly add the peanut butter and the adjust the amount of water or peanut butter, depending on how thick you want the sauce to be - it will get a bit thicker as it cools).  Once the sauce was done, I drained the water off the matooke, cut it into chunks, and poured the sauce over it.

Comments