Sweet Potato Coconut Curry

I know they aren't nearly as nutritious as the orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, but I sure enjoy the taste of the local sweet potatoes here in Uganda.  Right now, I have a fair amount maturing in my garden and I'm looking forward to harvesting and enjoying them soon!  Personally, I am happy eating them plain, but to cater to both my taste and to Anthony's, sometimes we have to come up with more interesting ideas.


I know it doesn't look like much, but this sweet potato curry was definitely a good result of those interesting ideas.  It is a combination of several recipes based on the ingredients that we had at the time and things that we wanted to put into curry.

4 medium sweet potatoes, cubed and steamed
4 carrots, cubed, and steamed with the sweet potatoes
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can coconut milk
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. turmeric
2 Tbs. olive oil
salt

Steam the sweet potatoes and carrots until they are soft.  In the meantime, saute the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, onions, and garlic in the olive oil until the onion is lightly browned.  Then, add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for a few minutes, until the sauce is the consistency you desire.  Add salt to taste.

Another time, I made this same thing, but added some tomatoes to the sauce.  I thought it was good, but Anthony thought that sweet potatoes plus coconut milk plus tomatoes was a weird combination. 

Comments