Beet Red Velvet Cupcakes

If you've ever been one to be grossed out by all the food coloring that makes red velvet cake red, then this is the recipe for you!  When I visited my friend in Texas, she needed to make beet cupcakes for a student garden group (per their request).  We did some research and came up with a recipe worth trying.

We used this recipe which is for red velvet cake, but we made it in muffin tins as cupcakes.  So we baked them at 350F for 15-17 minutes.  (One muffin tin was a little fuller than the other one so it too longer).  It made 24 cupcakes.  Then, as directed, we made cream cheese frosting for them - I just didn't get a picture of that.




They were a very satisfactory red color!  And a big hit with the students and everyone else we shared them with.

After this, I made the same recipe as a cake for my parents because my dad has always loved red velvet cake.  For some reason, the cake was not as red as the cupcakes.  I think that perhaps I didn't puree the beets as finely or there is something about the process of baking a cake as opposed to cupcakes which made it less red.  Still, though, it was red and it tasted just as wonderful (with no added worries about eating a bottle of food coloring!).  Next time maybe a finer puree is worth a try.


It disappeared very quickly!  Now, you can't think that you're eating something healthy when you eat this cake.  Although it does have beets in it, so maybe some added nutrients, it is still basically a cake :)

Comments