Malewa - Again

When we lived in Mbale, I learned how to cook malewa - smoked bamboo.  You can see the pictures of the uncooked thing and description of how to prepare the bamboo here.  However, now that I know the secret ingredient in Ugandan cooking (curry powder), I was able to prepare malewa and have the sauce taste much better than the last time!


This time, I made a peanut sauce in a separate saucepan from the one I prepared the bamboo in.  I minced a couple small onions and sauteed them until soft.  Then, I added two chopped tomatoes and continued cooking until they were soft too.  Next, I added around a cup and a half of water along with the teaspoon of curry powder and teaspoon of salt.  Finally, I added peanut butter slowly, over low heat, until the sauce became the consistency I wanted.  I mixed in the cooked bamboo and there I had authentic tasting malewa.


We had lots of sweet potatoes, so we served the malewa over them. Overall, the dish was greatly improved compared to the first time I prepared malewa in Mbale.

Comments