Village Food

Here are a couple of interesting meals I ate in the village lately.  This first one included a really nice tomato sauce which is nothing like anything I've ever been served in Uganda before.  It was almost like a creamy sauce one might put on spaghetti.  Speaking of spaghetti, I had a conversation at one point with some people who were telling me about how rice is better than this fake food you can get at supermarkets.  I asked what food they were referencing and they said "macaroons".  I replied that I had never seen such a thing in the supermarket, to which they insisted that I have seen it.  This conversation went on for quite a while until I asked them to describe macaroons.  And they told me they are long and thin and you boil them in water.  Finally, I figured out that they meant spaghetti!  And maybe what I heard as "macaroons" was really "macaroni"...


And then, this one had some tiny little mushrooms cooked in peanut sauce, which was very nice.  I need to get myself some of these mushrooms so I can try preparing that dish too!

Comments