Mango Jam

Maybe I have not mentioned it, but I have an overabundance of mangoes in my yard.  With one mango tree, there are hundreds of mangoes!  And since I don't have to share them with Anthony, well, I eat a lot of mangoes.  Someone was talking with me recently about whether you could make tamarind jam (yes, you can and I will probably try this next month when the tamarinds are in season) and it made me think that I should try making mango jam.  Let me tell you, it was very easy.  And the jam was really good.  Here is what I did:

Ingredients:
6 mangoes (mine are small, so this would probably equal about 2 or 3 of the big ones you get in the US)
1/2 c. sugar

Peel the mangoes and cut the flesh off of the inside pit.  Cook the mangoes and the sugar together over low heat, stirring occasionally until the mangoes get soft.  Continue to cook until it reaches the consistency of jam.



And that is all.  It only took around 15 minutes and it was jam!  This made about one pint-sized jar worth.  We had a friend staying with us and between the two of us (Anthony did not join in the jam-eating), we ate all of the jam in three days.

Comments